Change background colour:

For Students (HE)

Our team of psychologists work with students in colleges and universities in various locations throughout the UK, delivering assessment services for the identification of specific learning difficulties.  “Specific Learning Difficulty” is a commonly used term which includes dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia and specific language impairment – which can all have an effect on your ability to learn.

We are aware of the challenges faced by institutions in striving for inclusiveness and take into consideration the policies and practices of these institutions to help students achieve optimum results.

Does this sound like you?

  • Do you have a previously identified specific learning difficulty and require an updated report?
  • Do you take a long time to read the page of a book or make sense of what you have read?
  • Do you have problems getting sounds in long words in the right order?
  • Do you find filling in forms difficult and confusing?
  • Is your spelling poor?
  • Is your handwriting difficult to read?
  • Do you have difficulty taking notes?
  • Do you have difficulty managing your time?
  • Do you have difficulty planning and structuring essays and assignments?
  • Do you have difficulty telling left from right?

If you answered ‘yes’ to a number of the above questions, you should contact your Student Services or Learning Support Services at your college or university to enquire about an assessment for possible specific learning difficulties.

Booking an Assessment

Your college or university may be able to arrange an assessment for you.  Once you have contacted your Student Services or Learning Support Services they may conduct an initial screening interview to discuss the types of difficulties mentioned above.  An assessment with a psychologist may then be recommended.  We deal directly with many institutes, however if you are advised to arrange this yourself then you can contact us on 01422 372222 or through our website contact form and a member of our administration team will be able to help further.

Equally, if you are not yet at college or university or would just like to arrange an assessment privately, then please contact us directly.

How much will it cost?

The price for a diagnostic assessment starts from £299.00.  Please note this price may vary subject to requirement.

Part, or all of the cost of this assessment may be funded through sources available to the college or university.  Please contact your institute for further details regarding this.

The Assessment Procedure

The assessment will be conducted either in a face to face setting or remotely and will take approximately 1.5-2 hours and is likely to include;

  • An ability test – this is not about a “pass” or “fail”.  Your performance on a range of items will allow the psychologist to consider your strengths and weaknesses which may highlight better ways of studying and learning for you.
  • A literacy assessment – your reading, writing and spelling abilities will be looked at in order to gain an understanding of your attainments in these areas.

The Report

The report will take approximately 3 weeks to be completed and sent out.  This report will allow the college or university to consider any recommendations made by the psychologist.  The recommendations may include:

  • Ensuring your tutors are aware of your difficulties
  • Specialist tuition to improve your study skills and written assignments
  • Examination considerations such as extra time or more specialised help
  • Assistive Technology such as a word processor and recommendations for appropriate support software

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) is government funding intended to cover the extra costs of having a disability or long-term condition.  If you have been identified with a specific learning difficulty then once you have received your completed diagnostic report, an application for DSAs can be made.  For more information about what it covers and who is eligible, please follow the link to the Government website here.  The Disability Officer at your college or university should also be able to assist you with this.

© 2019, All Rights reserved. Educational Guidance Service | Privacy Policy | Subject Access Request Form | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Site by Crawford Designworks