Change background colour:


This page will give you, as parents,  an outline of the difficulties that may be affecting your child and an insight into how we work with them to optimise their development.

All our psychologists are extremely experienced at working with children of all ages. They are all members of The British Psychological Society or The Health and Care Professions Council. All have current enhanced disclosures from the Criminal Records Bureau.[box]

What is a Specific Learning Difficulty?

‘Specific learning difficulty’ is an umbrella term to describe a number of conditions that affect an individual’s ability to receive and process information. This means that those affected find it difficult to learn in conventional ways. The most common of these conditions are Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia and Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder.

It is accepted that early intervention and diagnosis of a specific learning difficulty can greatly enhance a young person’s academic achievement and wellbeing at school. There is a great range of interventions that can assist by allowing a child to learn in a way that plays to their strengths.[/box][box]

The Importance of Diagnosis

Children with a specific learning difficulty may suffer from high degrees of frustration and lack the ability to concentrate. They can often fall behind their peers in literacy and numeracy, as they may struggle to grasp concepts when taught in a conventional manner.  Consequently behaviour can become erratic, with a tendency to have good days and bad days. Emotional outbursts and impulsiveness may become evident.
The most common outcome is a steady decline in self-esteem, which can have far-reaching consequences for a child. Eventually a child may become disengaged from the school system, resulting in behavioural problems.[/box][box]

Putting it right: The Assessment model and report

With the right interventions, a child can reach their academic potential. At the Educational Guidance Service, our team of Educational Psychologists are very experienced in working with children and young adults of all ages.

For detailed information about our assessments, for example content, timings and costs you can contact us directly on 01422 372222 or by completing the contact form on this website.

It is possible that literacy, memory, organisation or other difficulties are affecting your child’s ability to learn effectively. The tests used within the assessment are age appropriate and will enable the Educational Psychologist to identify your child’s strengths and weaknesses such as language, speed of processing information, working memory and spatial awareness.[/box][box]

The report

The results of all the tests administered are recorded in a comprehensive report.  We advise that this report is shared with your child’s school.  It is likely that your school will have a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo) who will be familiar with this type of report.

Recommendations are made to assist with your child’s learning and are tailored so that information can be presented in a way suited to their strengths and weaknesses. The recommendations section also lists any relevant strategies,  literacy and numeracy aids that may be of use, together with assistive technology where appropriate.

If you have concerns about your child’s development and learning, and you wish to find out more information and/or arrange an assessment, please complete our referral form.

You can post it to us or email it to

School Interventions

If a child begins to struggle academically, the school will contact the parents/carers of the child and consult with them regarding the interventions they wish to implement. The school works to government policy guidelines. To view a copy click here.

School Action

The school will implement school action after an appropriate assessment has taken place.  Any recommendations from the report will be actioned in school, guided by the SENCo.

School Action Plus

School Action Plus will be implemented if a child is not making progress under the School Action interventions. The school will seek external support, through the LEA, which could involve Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy or Educational Psychology. The LEA will have access to support from agencies specialising in the Autistic Spectrum. The school will implement an IEP (Individual Education Plan) for the child, to design intervention strategy and track progress.

Statement of Educational Needs

If your child is not making progress under School Action or School Action Plus the school or parents may request an assessment for a Statement of Educational Needs (SEN) from the Local Education Authority.

For more information about how the assessment part of the statementing process works and how to access support go to

© 2017, All Rights reserved. Educational Guidance Service | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions Designed by Luke Crawford Design